Friday, February 11, 2011

FUN FRIDAY

New idea for posts.....We'll see how I do! LOL
My husband has Mondays off so that will be my off day, too!
Tips and Tricks Tuesday -- Sharing little tidbits I've learned/gathered
Wool Gathering Wednesday -- whatever I think of that I'd like to share with my blogging friends
Thankfulness Thursday -- A day to be thankful for all we've been given.....yarn being one of my favorites! :)
Fun Friday -- Fun projects I'm working on or would like to try
Spotlight Saturday -- Hopefully, little blurbs about other crafty people (and I mean "crafty" in the best sense!)
I am hoping this will lend a little more structure to my blogging....as I am not a natural but really hope to improve and create posts that are both informative and interesting.
SO!! For the first official Fun Friday....First a fun fact.....
Where does mohair yarn come from?
And then on to my fun thing for the day. I am making a shawl....FOR ME!!! As many of you crochet and knitting folk know, we often do not keep many of our lovelies as they are made for friends and family gifts. Well, that would be me! I have made over 20 afghans and not kept one for me....ahem, well, my husband paid for one after a craft show...that wasn't quite finished....for me to keep - ISN'T HE GREAT?!?! - and it still isn't finished! But...SOMEDAY!! :) I have made oodles and oodles of doilies, scarves, hats, appliques, dish rags and so on and so forth and until recently, I hadn't kept much for myself. Well, shawls are my new thing as I've only ever made ponchos, so I decided what better way to get a feel for the patterns than to make one guinea pig shawl....for me! :) haha I am actually making it out of various "leftover" yarn from the ponchos I've made so it will be interesting in color combination but great for wearing around my house! I am using Lion Brand Homespun yarn scraps. It will at least be soft! I'll post a pic as soon as there is something to show. That is what I did today...no work...just fun. It was nice. :)

OK - mohair yarn - where does it come from? Goats! :) Sometimes other fiber is mixed in with it but the mohair part comes from the goat. Here is a little info that I found very interesting.
It is one of the oldest textile fibers in use. It is both durable and resilient. It is notable for its high luster and sheen, and is often used in fiber blends to add these qualities to a textile. Mohair also takes dye exceptionally well. Mohair is also warm as it has great insulating properties. It is durable, and resistant to moisture-wicking, stretch, flame and creases. It is considered to be a luxury fiber, like cashmere, angora and silk, and is usually more expensive than most wool that comes from sheep.
And here is a picture of Mr. Goat...who is in fact, an angora goat. :) Cute huh?! Wonder if my hubby would let me have one!!! :) NOT!

2 comments:

  1. it is a good idea to made fro ourselves. I'm yet to make anything for myself and hadn't realised that until I read your post.

    I'm thinking a flower scarf for myself (when the projects are complete) I hope you enjoy making yourself your shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    I do hope you get to make that scarf for yourself. It is so much fun keeping a little something once in awhile! :)

    ReplyDelete